Smoothies are a fast and easy option for breakfast or lunch. They are the perfect way to get a delicious, nutrient-dense meal on the go.
Ingredient options are endless and you can include a variety of fresh fruits and vegetables. You can also add any supplements of your choice to boost your smoothie’s health benefits.
Making your smoothies at home is super easy. Keep reading and we will also show you some tips on how to prep ahead of time. We’ll share with you tricks that will not only save you time but will also save you money.
Fruits and vegetables to use in green smoothies
The fruit and vegetables you decide to use in your smoothies are up to your individual taste. Sweet summer fruits and berries are always a favourite. These fruits freeze well, meaning you can always have them on hand in the freezer and ready to add to your smoothies in perfect portions.
Leafy green vegetables are also a popular choice. They are packed full of calcium and fibre with a mild taste that won't overpower your added fruits.
Some of our favourite fruits and vegetables to add to our smoothies are:
- Mangos - The delicious golden cheeks of mango are high in vitamin C. This is not only great for boosting your immune system, but vitamin C also assists with iron absorption from green leafy vegetables and celery.
- Pineapple - The sweet golden chunks from pineapple are a great source of fibre. Fibre is essential for healthy digestion. Pineapple is also loaded with antioxidants and other vitamins and minerals.
- Berries - Strawberries, blueberries and raspberries are the perfect choices for a smoothie. Berries are a rich source of fibre, antioxidants, vitamin K and manganese. They can also help regulate your blood sugar and insulin response.
- Banana - Possibly the most popular fruit around the world, bananas are a rich source of potassium which is vital for a healthy heart. Eating a banana every day can help lower blood pressure and reduce your risk of heart disease.
- Baby spinach - These mild-tasting baby leaves are high in iron. They are best served with fruits high in vitamin C. Vitamin C helps your body absorb the maximum amount of iron. Baby spinach is also high in vitamin K for stronger bones. The carotenoids in spinach can aid in eye health and reduce the risks of macular degeneration and cataracts.
- Kale - A more fibrous leafy green than baby spinach. Kale is rich in folate that helps to support brain development and overall brain health. It is also high in vitamin A and K, which support eye and bone health.
- Celery - This porous vegetable is best bought organic. The skin of the celery is porous and has no protective layer. It is extremely high in calcium and contains anti-inflammatory compounds to help reduce inflammation. It is also rich in vitamins A, K and C. Don’t throw away the leaves! They are the most nutrient-dense part and contain the most calcium and vitamins.
Best healthy add-ins
While a basic green fruit smoothie is very nutritious, it is also beneficial to boost it with some add-ins that can bring other health benefits.
Here are some of our favourite add-ins to boost our smoothies:
- Protein powder - Hemp Seed Protein Powder is made from 100% organic hemp seeds. It is a complete protein, which means it contains all the essential amino acids, including Omega 3, 6 and 9 which makes it the perfect vegan protein powder.
- Hemp seed oil - Adding a tablespoon of Hemp Seed Oil to your smoothie will provide you with more Omega 3s than fish oil. It also contains 20 essential fatty acids and Omegas 3, 6 and 9 in the ideal ratio for the human body.
- Collagen powder - Add a scoop of collagen powder to your smoothie. This will promote healthy hair, skin and nails. It can also help reduce joint pain and inflammation by promoting the repair of cartilage.
- Maca - The perfect alternative to caffeine. Maca contains flavonoids that are known to help to alleviate anxiety and boost your energy. They also work to improve mood and is a great way to start the day feeling great.
- Cacao nibs - Add a little chocolate flavour to your smoothie. Cacao can boost serotonin and dopamine levels which activate the reward centre of your brain. This can lift your mood and decrease anxiety.
Hemp seed protein powder benefits
Protein powder will take your green smoothie from a healthy drink to a complete liquid meal.
Hemp seed is the optimum choice in plant-based protein powders. It is completely vegan and 100% organically grown and produced.
Complete protein sources that contain all 20 essential amino acids and Omega 3,6 and 9 are commonly only found in animal sources. Hemp seeds are one of the only plant-based complete proteins available, making them a true superfood.
Hemp seed protein powder has a mild nutty taste similar to a pepita. Making it an ideal protein source that won't overpower your fruits and vegetables.
Tips to prep smoothies in advance
Smoothies are super easy and can be made in minutes with a little preparation ahead of time.
Using frozen fruit and vegetables is the best way to stay organised. Buy already prepared frozen fruit or buy in-season fruit and freeze it yourself.
We find the best way to organise our smoothie ingredients is to use individual bags or containers. Place the fruit and vegetables for one smoothie into a container. This will allow you to pull out the container and add the already portioned fruit straight into the blender.
Leafy green vegetables also freeze well for a couple of weeks. Ensure the leaves are dry and place them in an airtight container or bag.
As you can see, you can add almost anything to a smoothie. By combining different fruits and vegetables with your favourite add-ins. You can create a delicious, nutrient-dense smoothie for the whole family.
Here is the recipe for one of our favourite green smoothies. Follow the steps below to create it at home.
Hemp Protein Green Smoothie Recipe
- 1 Frozen banana
- ½ cup Baby spinach
- ¼ cup Frozen pineapple chunks
- 20-30g Hemp protein powder
- 1 tbsp Honey
- 250ml Coconut water
STEP 1: Add coconut water and hemp seed protein powder to the blender. Mix on high for 1 minute until well combined.
STEP 2: Add the rest of the ingredients to the blender and mix on high for 1-2 minutes until smooth and creamy.
STEP 3: Serve in a tall glass or a smoothie bottle to drink on the go.
We love creating healthy recipes using our 100% organic hemp products. All AT Hemp products are made with love in Australia using only organic locally sourced ingredients.